Do you want to increase your attention span? Have you found yourself unable to concentrate on something or follow the flow of a sermon?
The remedy won’t happen on its own. You will need to work at increasing your attention span. Here are some practical things you can do, in no particular order:
- Put your phone away in church. You don’t need it.
- Related, bring a physical copy of God’s Word to read from.
- Block off time for personal worship each day, and stick to it, no matter what. Make sure your phone/computer are put away. You don’t need them for this.
- Use pen and paper to write things down.
- Delete TikTok. You don’t need it.
- Delete Instagram. You don’t need it.
- No really. You don’t need it.
- From time to time, have a silent commute to work. I know this sounds scary, but you don’t need to fill every space in life with media.
- Limit your news consumption. It’s not as helpful as you think.
- Read a physical book.
- Avoid multitasking where possible.
- Learn to actually listen, and not just have opinions and witty responses.
- Memorize scripture.
- Memorize catechism.
- Don’t check your phone in the morning until after you’ve showered and spent time in the Word and prayer.
- Learn all the verses to a hymn.